Pickleball is one of the fastest growing sports in the United States. According to the Sports & Fitness Industry Association, there were 4.8 million pickleball players in 2021, an increase of 21.3% from the previous year. With the popularity of pickleball on the rise, more and more people are looking to build pickleball courts in their communities. When constructing a new pickleball court, it’s important to follow the official dimensions and layout specifications to ensure a regulation-sized court. In this complete guide, we provide the official pickleball court dimensions (WITH PDFS) layout diagrams to help you build a court up to USAPA standards.
Official Pickleball Court Dimensions
According to the USA Pickleball Association (USAPA), the official dimensions for a pickleball court are:
- Length – 44 feet (13.41 meters)
- Width – 20 feet (6.1 meters)
The total area of a regulation pickleball court is 880 square feet (81.7 square meters). Courts can be constructed indoors or outdoors on any flat, smooth surface. The most common surfaces used are asphalt, concrete, carpet, or sports court tiles.
When constructing a permanent pickleball court, the pickleball court dimensions pdf diagrams provided in this guide should be followed precisely to ensure correct court measurements. Minor variations in court dimensions can affect gameplay and ball bounce.
Pickleball Court Layout
In addition to the length and width, there are specific layout requirements for a regulation pickleball court:
- The court is divided into right and left halves by the net.
- The net is hung at 36 inches (0.914 m) at the sidelines and 34 inches (0.864 m) at center.
- Non-volley zone lines extend 7 feet (2.13 m) from the net on each side.
- Service zones are 15 feet (4.57 m) from the net on each side.
The pickleball court dimensions pdf diagrams below illustrate the exact court layout and dimensions:
Pickleball Court Dimensions PDF in Feet
Here are the pickleball court dimensions in a downloadable PDF with measurements in feet:
The PDF shows the length, width, non-volley zone, and service zone measurements in feet. This diagram is ideal for constructing a regulation pickleball court in the United States.
Pickleball Court Dimensions PDF in Meters
For countries using the metric system, here are the pickleball court dimensions (WITH PDFS) in meters:
This PDF diagram displays the court measurements in meters including length, width, and key lines. Use this for building a regulation-sized pickleball court outside the US.
Double Pickleball Court Dimensions
In addition to single courts, it’s also common to construct side-by-side double pickleball courts to maximize space. Here are the dimensions and layout for a double pickleball court:
- Total Length – 60 feet (18.29 meters)
- Total Width – 34 feet (10.36 meters)
- Each court is 30 feet x 20 feet (9.14 m x 6.10 m)
- The two courts are divided by a 4-foot (1.22 m) barrier
Download the double pickleball court dimensions (WITH PDFS) diagram below for the exact double court specifications:
This PDF shows the precise double court layout with two regulation-sized 30′ x 20′ pickleball courts side-by-side. Follow this diagram to maximize your available space when constructing pickleball courts.
Planning Your Pickleball Court Project
With the official pickleball court dimensions and helpful PDF layout diagrams provided above, you have everything you need to start planning your new pickleball court project. Here are some final tips:
- Check with your local building codes and homeowners association for any restrictions and permitting requirements before constructing your court.
- Hire a professional contractor experienced in sport court construction to ensure your court is perfectly level and meets all specifications.
- Be sure to account for adequate safety space around the court perimeter when planning your layout.
- Select a durable, high-quality court surface material like sport court tiles, asphalt, or post-tension concrete that can withstand frequent play.
- Include amenities like lighting, fencing, nets, and storage to maximize your court’s functionality and playability.
Building your own pickleball court is an exciting project that will allow you to enjoy this fun lifetime sport right in your own backyard. Just be sure to follow the official pickleball court dimensions and layouts in the PDF diagrams provided to ensure a regulation court that is ready for competitive play.